I finally received my car yesterday at 8am. Three days late. It came with some remnants of the northeast/midwest - grime and snow dirt so thick that even after I took it to the car wash, it still came out filthy. But it was a nice touch of home I guess. Despite the beautiful weather here for the past 5 or 6 days, I would rather have stayed in New York for an extra month. I think I always get mentally messed up when winter is short or nonexistent. But I guess I better get used to it.
So since I basically got everything squared away (except the dining table which first I had to get some friends to carry it up to my third-floor apartment and now I can't figure out how to get the legs in properly) I decided to enjoy myself this weekend, aka swim, bike, run as I pleased. Yesterday I ran 5.3 miles home from the car rental place after I returned my car and explored some of the bike paths and where they don't actually lead to. Then I biked for 37.6 miles around the lake bike path. It was slow because I had to bike from/to my apartment to the path which involved lots of stop lights and also of course I just didn't know where I was going. I had to stop a lot and backtrack and even ask a guy where/how the path connected. My legs were hurting after that. Today I swam 5000 yards in the late morning and then biked 35.8 miles around the same above path. But faster this time since my legs were beginning to remember what it's like to bike outside and I knew where I was going. I am proud of myself - over 70 miles in the first weekend outside since early November! And this is despite the fact that I banged my head hard against the side of the pool this morning when I was kicking on my side and not paying attention to the end of the pool. Head still sort of hurts now...
January ended up with over 70,000 yards swam and an unknown amount run and biked. And cross-country skiied too. That means though for December and January combined, I swam over 150,000 yards!
Tomorrow is my first day of full-time work, or maybe, the first day of the rest of my life. Trying to decide whether to start it off with a run or a swim.
3 comments:
Good luck with your work week. Sounds like you are getting situated where you are.
OMG, how was the first day of work???????
I'm friends with the "other" Amy Chow (gymnast) and came across your blog by accident. It's very cool -- nice combination of successful intellectual and athletic pursuits.
Post a Comment