Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why Austin is Awesome

Flew down to Austin, TX, on Thursday for my friends’ wedding on Saturday evening. It was a lot cooler than I expected! I planned to work from Austin on Friday, which I did, dragging my laptop between my friends’ house, Austin Java Café, and Whole Foods Market. It was awesome. And I barely got lost driving around! That and after living here the traffic really doesn’t seem that terrible anymore. Gosh. How perspective changes.

Started a chilly Friday morning out at 6am at the Hills swimming with Jimmy and there were two of the same guys in the fast lane. Somehow, I was almost even able to keep up with them. And suddenly, I can kick! Not sure when that all happened… Pat stopped by the pool to say hi and then later she took a photo of my arm with the suntanned number in the locker room. Even got to see my old personal trainer! Hugs all around. And then since it was still before 8am Pacific time I went for a run on Lady Bird Lake. Did the familiar 7 mile loop between Mopac and I-35. Still chilly and a bit drizzly. Breakfast quesadillas at Austin Java Café like I always get, and some work.

Later in the afternoon ventured out to Whole Foods Market. It seems to have gotten even better, if that was possible. Either that or the ones here really do suck and make the one in Austin seem even more amazing. For dinner my friends and I went to Trudy’s with their Mexican martinis… man I miss Austin.


K's chocolate muffin ice cream sandwich

Saturday morning was an early morning again to swim and this time I got put into the fast lane. The guy in front of me kept farther and farther away and I was like boy I must be swimming slowly, and then I’d get to the wall and it’d be my normal times. Funny how that works. Got to see Chris who gave me a pep talk and told me I am not supposed to be an engineer. Good thing some people recognize that. Then FINALLY got to see K when we got breakfast tacos and muffins at Maria’s Taco Xpress and Taste No Evil Muffins. Just like old times! I miss it so much.

Wedding… fun… too much red wine, we’ll leave it at that. No action of course... I am not cool enough for that.

More breakfast tacos on Sunday, hurray, though I never think there will ever be such a thing as too many breakfast tacos too often. Another run on the lake… weather was beautiful in the afternoon and tons of people were out walking and running and enjoying. Another reason I love Austin. Got Amy’s Ice Cream with K and then… that was it.

Now contemplating what to do next. Long term I mean. Short short term I am volunteering at the local half marathon on Sunday at the start and finish areas and going to do a typical crazy Amy thing… short run to the start, help out for 5 hours, then do a longer run home.

No comments: