Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fab's Quads

I think at one point after seeing Fabian Cancellara on the podium at the Tour this year I joked that I wished I had his quads. Turns out, no I don't really want quads that large because 1. it's really hard to find jeans that fit and 2. having big quads may be a sign you have really strong quads and perhaps weak hamstrings and glutes.

I visited the ART doc again today after I tweaked something on the inside of my thigh and the adductor has been sore since (and this is on what was my GOOD leg). He was poking at it and then asked me if I had been doing any other strength training than Crossfit. And because normal strength training is boring, of course I haven't. So his reasoning is that I have become quad-dominant this year thus causing my knee tendons and adductors and tibia to all get pulled forward since my hamstrings and glutes have not been strengthened and cannot pull back. So time to pull out the stability ball from under my table and start doing curls.

As for Canada...well the plan right now is to do the swim, and the bike, and if it hurts on the bike then DNF. If it doesn't, it looks like I will be walk/running the marathon. It drives me crazy that I finally got my run  together, and the bike together, and then I get injured. What good is it to be able to run a sub-4 hour marathon if I can't fucking run! I hate the idea of a DNF, but maybe I will have to. I remember a girl in my age group who dropped after the bike at Lake Placid last year and even though she had a much better swim and bike than me at Kona, I was able to run better than her. I keep worrying that might be me, especially since my mother kept making comments on how she didn't do the run at Placid. Then again, my mother is a nosey busybody.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get the "can't fit into my jeans because my quads are too big" :( There are two sizes I wear - #1: When Hannah hasn't worked out and my muscles have atrophied size and #2: Hannah has been swimming, running, biking size. And #2 sucks because my pants fit in my legs and not my waist >:[ If I had any fashion design skills, I would make jeans for triathletes....

dan said...

I might suggest, for the off season, raising your saddle height up just a little bit. It will force you to become more well-rounded in using your cycling muscles.

Pat's Place said...

So sorry you are having so many struggles right now. I hope you can figure it all out before Kona! Good luck!

Maggs said...

Man I feel your pain. If it were me, and any other race than Kona, I'd do the swim/bike only. I'm finishing Kona no matter what, so I'm saving my run for that and don't want to get any more injured before then. Good luck this weekend.