Sunday, August 15, 2010

Unnatural talent

I wish I was one of those naturally talented people who even when they don't try, or don't train, or just wing it, can go out and do really well. Unfortunately I am not... so when I don't try, I really don't do great. Well I mean, two years ago I would have killed for a 2:45, but now I know I am capable of more than that.

I completed the Folsom Olympic Distance Tri today, 10 minutes slower than last year. The swim was faster though, but I was definitely cruising the bike. I wore a sleeveless wetsuit in the swim, and Lake Natoma was 65 degrees. Since I was freezing at Vineman when the Russian River was 71 degrees, that probably wasn't a smart idea warmth-wise, since I was completely numb after the swim and it took over 5 miles to warm up on the bike. My knee didn't hurt much, and I'm not sure if someone of the pains were made up in my head. Then I got to the run. The doctor said on Friday if the swim and bike hurt, I shouldn't run. Well the swim didn't hurt at all, nor the bike, so I went out to run. I could feel it from the start, but it didn't get painful until mile 5. So that was good.

Regarding the knee, the reason for the pain is that my left quad is super tight and pulling on the tendon, which is then pulling on the knee. Okay that makes sense. The SpiderTech tape seems to be helping though! No pain going up or down stairs anymore.

3 comments:

Maggs said...

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one freezing during the Vineman swim! And I'm not one of those natural athletes who can pull off a good race after time off. I'm super slow after a lay off and get my speed back slowly.

Unknown said...

eek 65 degrees??? No thanks. I am pretty much a weeny in ANY cold weather or water. Yes, that means below 70. haha.

Pat's Place said...

Sounds like you are doing a great job of assessing your aches and pains. Good luck with your efforts to get the knee back in shape.