Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Break in the Clouds

I started seeing a therapist a few weeks ago. And ever since, my life has changed quite a bit. Today during the session she suggested doing the Myers Briggs test to shine more light on my personality and where my strengths lie. It was cool to see how the test is actually graded, since I've taken online Myers Briggs tests but obviously the computer scores everything and you never learn the algorithm. And luckily, the test I took with the therapist matches the online test. I am an INFJ. The therapist took one look at that (circling the NF) and goes "No wonder you are having trouble at work. You are a nurturing, feeling type, which is much different than the engineers at work who are just focussed on the program or the chip or whatever. INFJs are very concerned with personal growth, which is not something found in an engineer world."

Now of course, I must do research on what it means to be an INFJ. So far some of the interesting facts I have found are:

  • Only 1-3% of the population is this type, making it one of the rarer types
  • Very intense (My former manager saw this right away.)
  • There is conflict between the inner world (inside my head) and the outer world, leading to things such as a messy desk (You should see my desk at work, there are papers and forks and ziploc bags strewn all over.)
  • Very intuitive, making for strong gut feelings. Aware of people's moods and emotion. (Why I am always freaking out because my group at work keeps storming.)
  • Strong values system with strong principles
  • Determined and not afraid of hard work (cough doing triathlons as a not-natural athlete cough)
  • Very sensitive to conflict, tend to internalize it, and can suffer health problems because of it (Ha this explains a lot!)
  • Under stress can become susceptible to instant gratification (Sugar cravings for sure.)
  • Believe in perfectionism, constant growth, and high expectations for themselves and most likely families (Most definitely me.)
  • Gravitate toward professions that lend toward creative and independence (My current struggle - working in a big engineering company is not either of these things.)
  • Self-expression is most easily done through words (Why I am trying to figure out how to get into writing.)
  • Have trouble relaxing (Duh!)
  • Jesus, Ghandi, and Mother Theresa are INFJ (Granted not sure how they determined Jesus's type.)
I could go on and on about how everything fits, but the point is there. I've always been a big fan of personality quizzes, they're so entertaining.

I've also been given a to-do list from the therapist (since I despise making lists for myself). I must take care of myself, since lately I've fallen apart and become nonfunctional, and I should research different vocational options.

5 comments:

dan said...

That's awesome. I think this is a terrific step in the right direction :)

HHF3 said...

What do all the letters stand for again? And seriously, your therapist was smart for having you take this test, it seems to hit the proverbial nail on the head. Woo!!!!

Anonymous said...

We're very similar - I'm an ISFJ ('I serve family joyfully' is how I've always remembered it haha)

But I'm glad you are seeing someone and taking steps to take care of yourself!

feii said...

ditto hannah!! I'm an INFP/INFJ. Us feelers gotta stick together! I'm excited to follow this process, rooting for ya!

Kelly said...

I got all curious, because I remember the last time I took one of those I was like well, how I would answer this question depends on the mood I'm in. So, I went and took one again and the internet says I'm ENTJ -- but now I want to know how it's scored too. hah!

glad things are looking up some