Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Inertia

A body in motion tends to stay in motion while a body at rest tends to stay at rest.

I think this perfectly describes me at the moment. Leading up to Buffalo Springs I had all this energy to train (two, three-a-day workouts) and it was all good. Now, ever since the race, I've had no motivation to do anything except swim maybe. This week has been the worst. Last week at least I could say I was still in recovery, but this week ... that and I am also hesitant to go run on the trail since I fell last Friday. Also I guess life has interfered, since Monday afternoon I found out I would have a 3 hour interview (2 hours of it technical) in less than 24 hours (yesterday). It was brutal. And after that I felt mentally and physically wiped out, which continued through today.

The one thing I am looking forward to is my second rowing lesson on Friday. My friend from swim and I signed up for sculling lessons. We briefly were able to get in the boat on the water Monday and rowed in a circle and it was AMAZING. I had forgotten how much I love the sport.

And then this is Joey's fault... but now you can do it too!

10 Years ago I was:
12 years old - graduating elementary school? This was probably the last age when I was not depressed.

5 years ago I was:
17 years old - taking AP classes in school and being antisocial. I think by this time I had quit friends and sat around by myself watching the Food Network. I was probably also anorexic/exercise bulemic at this time... low point was weighing 84 lbs at 5'4". I was also slowly recovering from depression by figuring out the cause.

1 year ago I was:
in summer school in Champaign taking 7 credit hours and really enjoying my IC Device Theory & Fab class. I was also triathlon training for potentially a half-iron in September (which I ended up doing) and eating. I was also infatuated with a boy who I ended up hating but now I'm mostly apathetic.

5 Things on my To-Do-list:
1) unrust my bike chain!
2) fix flat race wheel tire
3) Respond to emails
4) Buy boxes to ship stuff home
5) figure out goals for rest of year

Five Snacks I enjoy:
1) ice cream
2) cherries
3) cookies
4) cake
5) chips and salsa

If I were a Billionaire I would:
quit working!

Five People I'd Want to have lunch with:
1) a woman in my master's swim who has won her age group in Kona
2)
3)
4)
5)

Five Places I've lived:
1) Scotia, NY
2) Urbana, IL
3) Austin, TX

Five jobs I've had:
1) office filer/scanner at my friend's dad's company (summer between hs & college)
2) intern at RPI working for a professor who was new so I installed linux on a bunch of different computers
3) worked for my dad's grad students coding Matlab
4) co-op at microprocessor company

4 comments:

feii said...

mmm something i remember from physics!! so, how does a body at rest start moving??? (i need to start moving.. haha)

i like (and approve) your list of snacks. yummmmm!!

i think you should add me to the list of people to have lunches with too. it can actually happen in the fall!! :D

happy recovering! hope things are better now~

Pat's Place said...

Goals are nice. And I like your snacks--YUM!

James said...

It's been a decade since you've started "being depressed?"

I can't believe that. Otherwise you'd have killed yourself already.

Is this a case of believing it makes it true?

Leila said...

woah girl, you need some perspective. You just did a 70.3 in a time that many people can't even finish a marathon in. You need to recover, mentally and physically, and it's going to be more than a week :).

I hate resting because I'm so afraid of the starting phase. I've learned so much from my two elite marathon friends. When my one friend finished boston, he didn't run for two weeks and didn't do anything but get massages for one :).

I know what you need to get you out of your slump too... a really good 60 mile bike ride with a friend... no hammering!! I sent you an email about the MJ ride tomorrow. Let me know if you're feeling up to it. It's always nice to ride and laugh at the same time.