Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Baking Adventures Part One

Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


I used a recipe from Cooking Light but used real eggs instead of egg substitute and oil instead of shortening... so it probably doesn't fit in their <30% fat guideline, but that's okay. Since now it's more my recipe. I thought it was a bit dry but my parents really liked it. I had wanted to make it 4 layers but the layers didn't come out thick enough that I could cut in half without destroying it. I decided my goal for this break is to make a four layer cake though. I just need to find a good recipe.

2 comments:

Pat's Place said...

Yum! Looks great! I have been using olive oil for oil in my recipes because it is one of the "good for you" oils. Maybe it would work in a cake recipe. I don't bake cakes any more because neither of us consume those kinds of things now.

Olga said...

Mmmm, looks so yummy. Can you post a link to the recipe or send it to me? I've never made a red velvet cake before, but I've been wanting to try it.