Sunday, March 1, 2009

Conclusion

It is not possible to balance training and work and a social life if nothing overlaps. Meaning, if the people I hang out with don't have any athletic interests, then it is really hard to get together. And if we do, then I don't have enough time to do everything else. I went down to SF yesterday with a friend to see some friends and I mean, I do like hanging out with them, but I don't know if it's worth how stressed I am today since I have to cram all errands and the work I have to do by tomorrow midday into one day. That and since I had to go to happy hour on Friday evening after I had just done a 35 mile bike ride with coworkers. So all the lack of recovery caught up with me today during my run in the pouring rain, no less, and I almost started crying. So now it's time to prioritize. No more day trips until after Ironman, or at least until I feel I am fully settled in, like getting my dining table set up and getting a vacuum. Only having 24 hours to catch up on everything is not enough at all. So now it's time to prioritize. I think for now I will say work always comes first, and then training, and then friends? I mean, I want to survive on July 26... but then I have to make friends too? And that requires time. Argh. So frustrated and stressed right now I can't think straight.

Regardless, this week came in at exactly 19 hours of strength, swim, bike, and run training. Add 50 minutes for yoga. No wonder I'm wiped. In the past 3 days, I biked 91 miles (done in 35 miles Friday afternon and 56 miles Saturday early morning) and ran 20.8 miles (6.8 on Friday morning, 2.5 as brick yesterday, and 11.5 this morning). And swam today. I've started going to my coach's personal training studio on Wednesday mornings for a person training session. I miss the Hills. I'm waiting to see if my coach lives up to my trainer in Austin.

4 comments:

El-ahrairah said...

Make friends at work (lol). Also... don't forget friends compound... and I thought training is... threshold/exponential/non-linear.

So in 3 months which order guarantees meeting threshold goals... and after that optimize for max gains. Or max passive gains.

James said...

I understand that you push yourself hard, but I'm wondering, do you consider training "work?"

Like, I'm sure you enjoy it, but why push yourself to the point of crying if it's supposed to be something fun? Otherwise, it's like having 2 jobs, no?

Pat's Place said...

Sounds like you are making some hard choices, but I guess that is all part of moving and settling in to a new place and new routines. You will figure it out in time. Invite friends over to help put together the dining room table--and bring pizza with salad to eat once it is finished!

Anonymous said...

training=pain but the fun kind not the bad kind
work=pain in the annoying way.

training=/=work

work=work

I DO have 2 jobs and I train and I coach and I have a boyfriend. Training keeps me sane really.