The first thing I wanted to be was an artist. I used to be good at art class and my nanny always encouraged creativity. She also later told me at one point I wanted to be a hair stylist. Yeah, I'm kind of glad my mom shot that idea down.
In junior high when I started creating websites for the first time I wanted to be a website designer. This may have been around the same time I had a "business" where I made greeting cards with purple construction paper and cut up pictures of flowers from the flower catalogs. I'm not actually sure how this idea originated but my mom and her friends liked the cards and were my buyers.
Around ninth grade I started watching a lot of the WB shows (what is now the CW). I mean, I was addicted to these shows. Young Americans (which sadly was only on for one summer), Dawson's Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Popular, Smallville, and that show with the religious family. And not only did I watch the shows, I spent a lot of time perusing forums and fansites on the Internet. I had some fansites of my own too. This is when I found fanfiction, and both read and wrote my own. At this time I decided I wanted to be a writer. I think I also started reading the NYTimes online thanks to my dad and wanted to get into communications. My parents did not seem to agree with my enthusiasm though.
In high school I took the requisite advanced math and science classes (having already been in the accelerated math/science class back in seventh grade even though then and still now my science ability is average at best) and cut out pretty much anything "impractical." I also took AP Computer Science, not once, but twice (because one year it was C++ and the next it was Java). So at that time I wanted to be a CS geek, although I would like to point out that high school programming is a shit ton different than college algorithm and logic crap.
However at the same time I also started watching a lot of Food Network and also wanted to go to culinary school and be a chef. My mother warmed to this idea, as the Culinary Institute of America is about a 2 hour drive south of where my parents live. As expected though, my father told me chefs don't make money and they work odd hours.
Well then, what to do. Being afraid of my parents I followed the route they wanted me to take. And here I am, over 6 years later, definitely unhappy with my profession to date. So as I rack my brain to what I want to do, it feels like deja vu and I keep revisiting my past.
I want to write. I want to cook. I want to be creative. I want to be an entrepreneur.
6 comments:
hahaha ... fanfiction...
I get to try your foods :)
Sounds like a good idea to me! I like writing and cooking... how can I help?
You are still so young. Just go for it. You can lose everything and still have time to make it up. You don't have kids. You'll always have a place to live (but maybe you'll have to downsize). And your parents may frown but they'll always love you and support you. So go for whatever your dream is. Take a big chance and pursue whatever makes you happy.
wow you wanted to be so many things, that's awesome! this inspires me to think about all the things I wanted to be... mm thanks amy! I agree with Angela & David. If you want to start up a greetings card company, let me know, I definitely wanted that for awhile :)
ooh 7th heaven! good show! i've gotten into cooking lately, too, so i'm kind of regretting not discovering this interest earlier and applying to the cia. i think fei used to want to write hallmark greeting cards back in high school, heh.
Begin to follow some of your dreams--perhaps small scale at first and then enlarge on them. I bet you will find your place, but you have so very many talents that you may want to change now and then. That's okay too!
Post a Comment