... and it was my second fastest so far, 4:13:51, which is surprising since I probably did everything wrong towards preparation and taper. Had no set schedule, was running an average of 60 miles a week in pain, only a 2 week taper, ran about 30 miles the week of the marathon, went to a party two nights before and drank, and ate lots of leftover candy the day before.
I realized towards the end that I could have run harder/faster, but I don't know mentally how I would have done that. For all my mental strength, it has never translated to telling myself how to go faster and push harder. Sure I can go farther, but not faster. Maybe that is what I need to discover this year.
Breakdown of the miles: Started towards the front accidentally, so was telling myself to slow down since I didn't want to burn out early. My stomach was hurting and I really had to use the bathroom, so I stood in line somewhere around mile 7. The line was long and so the entire break took over 10 minutes. The next 9 or so miles were mostly a blur and I took another 3-minute break around mile 16. After this my right hamstring or whatever behind my right knee started cramping and I started to worry. My lower back and butt were also starting to hurt slightly too. The pain disappeared around mile 20 when I realized I could finish in less than 4:20. So I picked up the pace and started passing people. In the last mile I passed a co-worker and tried to get him to run with me, but he told me to ahead. So I almost sprinted to the finish.
Overall, I really could have run faster. I was fine at the finish and only a little residual pain as I was walking back to my apartment from Town Lake. (Yes, I walked to and from the marathon.) I went to the gym to maybe do a short swim workout and the heaters were broken again. The water though this time was a frigid 70 degrees. So I sat outside for awhile and talked to some of the people also sitting outside before finally sucking it up and getting in. Numbed my legs for a bit, then did 800m pull and 200m breaststroke. Was still freezing 2 hours afterwards. And now I'm not even sore. I grocery shopped, made food, cleaned kitchen, and vacuumed.
Week of 02/11-0217
Mon - 20min trainer am, 5 mi run lunch, 3000m swim pm
Tues - 8 mi run pm
Weds - 30min trainer am, 3 mi run lunch, 3500m swim pm
Thurs - 7.5 mi run pm
Fri - 5.5 mi run am, easy yoga pm
Sat - 2000m swim
Sun - Marathon, 1000m swim
Note to self: Need to get sunscreen. My stomach is bright red and burnt.
No comments:
Post a Comment