Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bottomless Pit

Both my stomach and my life seem to be of the same. And I am NOT eating constantly because I am hungry, I am eating because I am stressed and when I am stressed self-control does not exist since it's one thing I don't want to think about. Hence why at the end of this semester I will probably be pre-diabetic and 15 pounds heavier. There's not even time for 3 meals a day anymore, so I have started substituting candy corn for one of those meals. Candy corn has supported me since sophomore year. It's a terrible habit but I just can't stop. There's no energy to tell myself that this is bad . All the energy goes toward school. Which is also a bottomless pit because there seems to be no end to the downward spiral. I think it can't get any worse, yet it does. It's only been 4 weeks so far. I'm not sure how I am supposed to survive the remaining 14.

On a lighter note, I finally ran outside on Friday. I ended up doing 5.8 miles in about 56 minutes, including stops to stretch. So that means less than a 10 minute pace! Which is surprising since last year I really think I was running at least a 10 minute per mile pace if not longer. The first half of the run felt stiff and my calves are tight. The second half was better. I still feel slow though.

I also did a 66 mile ride yesterday out to a university-owned park in Monticello, IL. I went with people from the tri club and it was ... interesting. There were a few guys there who I think had never biked anywhere close to that mileage that still decided to come despite the fact that there had been an email the night before stating that it would be a 60 mile ride. But I assume they are freshmen and I guess as a freshmen I lacked common sense. (Some may argue that I still lack common sense nowadays.) I was proud of myself that I was able to beat everyone up the "hills" in my big chain ring and that on the way back I was almost able to keep up with the 2-3 fast guys. And surprisingly, with not too much drafting on the way back, I was doing 22ish mph. And holding it! It was exciting. Though about two miles from home my legs decided it was quitting time and I got slow. But I'd say that's the longest I'd gone at such a speed ever maybe.

Totals for the week:
Swim: 3600x2yds + 2600m + 2600yds + 4000yds = something around 15km
Bike: 27 + 28 + 66 + 30 minute trainer ride = 121 miles
Run: 6.5 mi on treadmill + 30 min on treadmill + 15 min on track + 5.8 mi outside = 2hr45 minutes running

And here goes another week...

3 comments:

Jocelyn Wong Neill said...

keep your head up! nice work on the bike and running sounds promising. I'm going on my first ground run today (in a while), fingers crossed. just get school done, you can do it! I remember how hard it was for me to finish too. it seems like it'll never end, but have faith, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. big hug!

Pat's Place said...

I am so glad your knee is better! And I know you will probably do better in school now that you can get out and run off some of that stress! Hang in there and you will make it! Candy corn! Ugh! Not my favorite snack food. I prefer CHOCOLATE!

James said...

What're you stressin' about? It's just school!