Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Future

looks bleak so far. Lots of running, biking, and swimming and work and little people interaction. At least that's what this semester has been. And I think I'm finally starting to lose it. My knee has been screaming at me and my mind is going crazy and I feel so alone. Yes, Amy the Loner admits that she misses people. And not all people, more specifically I miss my friends in Austin. And I miss Austin. I'm currently in Folsom, California, waiting for my banana and muffin to digest to go check out the bike/run trail. But I'm sure it won't be dirt like Town Lake.

Maybe I'm just annoyed that my friend who does live here chose other friends to hang out with in San Francisco. Maybe I'm annoyed that this is the weekend that everyone decided to visit northern California and that I am not highest on the priority list. Maybe I'm annoyed that originally he assumed I was going to spend this entire weekend in San Francisco when I am sure the company was not paying for me to visit there when I'm working here. Plus this trip is about seeing my future, not San Francisco. SF is my second favorite US city, after Austin of course, but I've done the sightseeing thing there (not surprisingly I did it by running everywhere). So now I guess it's almost like I want - starting all by myself. But then knowing that there are people here I know makes it not a complete fresh start. I don't know what I want anymore.

Today I will run/walk the trail. Then I will head down to SF for the afternoon/evening to swim with Jocelyn (who is one of the reasons I am glad to move here!) and then have dinner with Chen who works around there and some other friends. And then tomorrow I will explore Folsom. And probably blog about it. My manager says "Welcome to the greatest triathlon training of your life." I hope he's right. I talked to some people in the airport yesterday from the area and they said there's nothing to do in Folsom. Except train I guess.

I had/have a bad feeling in my gut about this trip and maybe this move overall. The driver of the bus to the rental cars yesterday said he doesn't get people with sour attitudes. I'm trying to look at this from the bright side. I'm just having a hard time finding it.

1 comment:

Pat's Place said...

Moves are hard!!! Any way you go about it, they are hard, but hang in there and I believe you will find your place. And I hear Folsom is a training heaven, so that should make it a great place for you! But pay attention to that knee! When you go home to New York, get it looked at AGAIN! And eat some CHOWDER in a bread bowl for me in SF! Wish I were there to eat it myself!