Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Riding Weekend

I think this weekend just confirmed how ridiculous I can be. In 3 days (Friday afternoon, Saturday midday, Sunday morning) I biked 156 miles.

Friday was 30.2 miles.
Saturday was 72.8 miles.
Sunday was 53.3 miles.

So actually, that is more than 156, but let's just say 56. Friday afternoon was gorgeous for riding. A slight wind for some resistance, but nothing bad. The wind was even less on Saturday making the ride doable and it was nice because normally there's wind by afternoon. Today however, had a 10 mph SSW wind when I went out and then it was up to a south wind of 16 mph with gusts of 24 mph when I returned. There were times I was riding around 12 mph into the south headwind.

Only a few minor incidents:
1. almost falling off my bike when I wanted to turn left and there were some cars coming suddenly and I was basically in a gravel pit making it hard to stop so I fell over but the only part of me that touched the ground were my hands.
2. almost getting hit by a red minivan that was driving in the middle/wrong side of the road. It was technically a farm road, but is close enough to town plus has university farm buildings on it that it can be heavily traveled at times, so I don't know what this person's deal was. It didn't even move over when it passed me and thus got a middle finger wave. I was wearing a bright pink jersey too so I was visible.
3. not actually being prepared for a 70+ mile ride (spur of the moment) so I ended the ride dehydrated enough to be nauseous for the following couple hours.

The oddest thing I think I saw all weekend was inside the bathroom at Homer Lake park where I normally break. It was covered in those orange ladybug things. Very creepy I have to say.

And then of course I followed up today's ride with yardwork for an hour and swimming. I'd say it was a productive weekend in terms of playing. Working however, not so much. But when is it going to be 70 degrees again? (Well tomorrow through Wednesday, but other than that.)

Totals:
Swim - 15000yds
Bike - 156 miles + 1.5 hours on trainer
Run - 14 miles

Maybe I should take November off. Like, only one thing per day for no more than 2 hours. Hmm...

1 comment:

Pat's Place said...

Glad you took advantage of the nice weather. I remember some brutal Halloweens up there when I had to take the kids out trick or treating in their snowsuits because of the cold and/or snow. And some people are still trying to tell us there is not really global warming??!! Get real!